My Garden's Progress in April


My daylilies are beginning to bloom now and they are so bright, almost glowing!  This is a Stella D'Oro lily I planted 2 years ago.  It's smaller than I expected so I planted additional lily roots in mid-March to fill in around my palm tree.  Below is a photo of how much they have grown since then.  I'm expecting them to bloom in a couple of weeks.


By the look of the size of these lilies (above), I think they'll be much taller and fuller than the Stella D'Oros.  The two pictured here aren't around my palm tree.  I planted these, called Buttered Popcorn, in the back yard.






(Above) My aloe plant is blooming for the first time since I moved here!  I really wasn't expecting it and when I walked around the side of the house, there it was, about 3 feet tall!  I like plants that do all the work by themselves.  It doesn't even need me to water or weed or trim it.




Above is the pineapple top I planted on the last day of March.  It definitely has new bright green growth in the center and when I tug on it gently, it feels firmly rooted.  Looks like I may have success with this - I'm thrilled about it.  Now I'm beginning to wonder how long it will be before I can pick a pineapple!  My neighbor's pineapple plants do produce fruit for her.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.




I think zucchini blossoms (above) are so beautiful as flowers, even if they didn't produce one of my favorite vegetables.  I picked the long-anticipated first zucchini this morning.  I'll have to think of how I might want to cook them for supper tonight - there are so many ways to prepare zucchini; even raw or cooked.  This is the first time I've been able to get the plant to grow long enough to give me actual fruit.  At least half of the little zucchini are dying before they mature, but I've got 3 good ones growing that look as though they will make it.  And still more blossoms, so I have high hopes!  Below is a photo showing the size of the whole plant now, April 21.




And one last snapshot for today is of the tiny Butternut squash forming.  It's just beginning, so I don't know whether it will mature or not.  I had 2 tiny acorn squashes start to grow and they both just dropped off the plant.  I hope this squash does better and survives.  I'm thinking maybe the really cool nights we had when the acorn squash were forming may have killed them.  Below, baby butternut squash.


No comments: