Kumquats or Loquats?


My wonderful neighbor came over this afternoon with this beautiful "bouquet" of kumquats from her tree.  Aren't they just gorgeous?  And they're just as delicous as they look.  I'm so lucky to have these happy, generous people all around me.  They are so willing to share the "bounty."  But I'm thinking these are loquats, not kumquats.  I think kumquats are almost like little oval shaped oranges and are a little tart, with skin that's similar to an orange.  These are smooth-skinned and softer and hardly tart at all.

I just planted 3 seeds in a container of potting soil from one of these fruits I ate.  I think I'll just throw the seeds out in a garden strip I have in the back yard.  If they grow, wonderful; if not, then at least I tried.  I'll put a few more in a pot and see what happens.  My neighbor's tree is about 8 or 9 feet tall and is really producing a lot this year. 

When she came over today, she told me there are 3 new baby cranes in the neighborhood just newly hatched and following their mother around (she's assuming it's the mother).  I'll take my camera out and see if I can locate them so I can post a picture of them here.



(I found the sandhill crane with her young one almost a month later than this post, so I've added it here.  They were strolling on the golf course behind my house, looking for something to eat.)  The baby is a little over 2 feet tall now.  How fast they grow!

The last thing I did out in the garden this morning was plant a sweet potato (below) that had started to sprout because I didn't pay any attention to it after buying it a couple of weeks ago!  Since potatoes do so well here, I cut it up and put it in a container.  I'm wondering whether it will produce sweet potatoes or just pretty vines.  Either will be fine with me but I love sweet potatoes and wouldn't it be wonderful to go to the backyard and dig up some for dinner?

No comments: