Take a Short Drive to Orchid Island (click link)


The weather has finally started to warm up here in Florida and that means I need to go to the beach and watch the waves for a while, walk in my barefeet in the soft sand and just let the sunshine feel warm on my skin.  This is why I had to retire here.  The extra long winter of 2010 has made this visit to the shore even more precious.  I went early in the morning, before everyone else decided to do the same thing.  The photo above is of Vero Beach in the area where I can walk for miles along the edge of the surf and look for sea glass or  small shells.  I've been looking for driftwood but haven't found any so far.  The photo below shows Ocean Drive with all it's marvelous shops selling clothing and accessories in tropical colors and pastels, as well as hundreds of souvenirs you would be proud to take home to friends and family.


Along various spots of Ocean Drive, are sculptures of brightly colored and patterned Loggerhead Turtles.  The Loggerheads are popular in this area and come ashore here to lay their eggs from late March through early September.  These turtles are an endangered species and are much loved and protected by the local residents.



Isn't this a feature that brings a smile to your face?  These sculptures also appear in front of various businesses throughout Vero Beach, such as the Main Library.

No comments: