Self-Watering Container Gardening


Above is a photo of the container garden I'm trying out here to see if it will produce more than 5 tomatoes, which is what I had last season when I tried the upside-down tomato growing device.  I've planted one patio cherry tomato plant and one Big Boy tomato plant.  If you've found that you've been able to conquer the bugs, critters and soil, will you let me know what you did to make your garden a successful one?

This is an approximately 18-gallon storage container by Sterilite.  The bottom is filled with water up to the hole you may notice in the front bottom.  The soil is my favorite Miracle Gro Container Soil.  In the right front corner, if you look hard, you will see a PVC pipe where I water this mini garden.  I followed the directions and photos laid out very clearly on this web site.  I want to say that the directions were easy to follow and there are plenty of pictures to help you along.  Or you can just search for home made container garden on Google.   

I used the directions for the one using a "pond basket" in the bottom since I don't have a drill to put all those holes in the other version using a screen between the water and soil.  This was simple and didn't take more than half an hour to set up.  Have you tried building your own container?  Let me know how well it did (or didn't do).

I also purchased a small, 16" diameter self-watering container pot.  All you do with this one is add soil and plant either seeds or a plant.  Water is poured into the spout you see near the bottom of the pot.  I'm growing Zucchini in it.  I'll have to transfer the zucchini plants when they get to be about 4 inches high - I'll put each one in its own pot.  Last year my zucchini died after a month of growing - that was so disappointing!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping for a real crop I can use in cooking this year.

No comments: