My 55+ Retirement Community


I'm living in a 55+ community and the neighborhood is very well taken care of. The lawns are mowed and trimmed by a landscaping company the community hires, which is included in your lot rent. You purchase the home, but not the land. This community has a free golf course which only the residents can use. No guests. They have 2 heated pools; one for residents only and one for guests. There is a really nice clubhouse and other amenities, clubs, classes and get-togethers. They have health screenings and driving classes so you can possibly get a discount on your car insurance.


(Clubhouse above.)  There are a wide variety of clubs to join, dances, entertainment, tennis, shuffleboard, bingo, cards, exercise; classes of all kinds things we can enjoy year round. There are celebrations for every holiday. Many people walk every day for exercise, some ride bicycles, some have golf carts to get around in. There are even trips you can take; you can get on a bus at the community building that will take you right to the dock, for instance in Miami to go on a cruise.

Some of the mobile homes (like mine) are on the edge of the golf course; others are beside one of the many lakes (I call them ponds) that are throughout the community. I don't golf, but I enjoy watching the Golf Channel on TV every chance I get. This location is ideal for me. Once in a while a golfer hits an errant golf ball into my yard while I'm pulling weeds. That always makes me smile - maybe because I know if I were back in PA, this just couldn't happen.

This is a busy, busy place during the months when most of the residents are here; October through April. Every morning at 7:00 a.m. they are mowing the golf course. You always see the landscapers driving through the neighborhood in their golf carts or landscaping equipment. There is always the security patrol driving around the streets to make sure you are safe. People are always outside, so you see your neighbors often and get to know them and find out what's going on around the area.

No comments: